Famous Women Inventors
There have been many famous women inventors in the history of the world. Some of these women are known to every kid who ever opened a history book where others are
less well known. The information on this page list and describes just a few of these famous female inventors.
Through out history women have struggled for equal rights with men; especially African American women. Do to this fact there is with out doubt thousands of women who
have never gotten credit for their ideas and inventions. One example of how women struggled to get credit for her inventions is Sybilla Masters. In 1712 she sailed to
Brittan from America in the hopes of obtaining a patent for a new process for grinding corn which eliminated the need for huge millstones and used hammers instead.
was a very smart and useful invention for its time; however since she was a women the patent was issued in her husbands name not hers.
List of 5 Famous Women Inventors
- Grace Murray Hopper - She was a pioneer in the field of computer science. She invented the first compiler for a computer programming language. She came up with the
concept of machine-independent programming languages; an idea that would result in the development of COBOL which was one of the first programming languages.
- Ada Lovelace - She is often referred to as the world's first computer programmer. She is credited for her advanced ideas on coding and computer looping which she
up with while studying her mentor Charles Babbage's machine; considered to be the first computer.
- Mary Phelps Jacob - Out of a growing frustration with women's uncomfortable corsets, Mary Phelps Jacob decided to do something about it herself in 1913. This NY
socialite is credited
for creating one of the first brassiere's for women. She went on to set up her own successful company. She later sold it to Warner Brothers Corset
- Margaret Knight - After her original invention was wrongfully stolen and patented, Margaret Knight successfully won a patent interference lawsuit. She is now known
one of the most famous 19th century women inventors. She created a machine that folded and glued (brown) paper bags in such a way that it created the flat bottom brown
paper bags we use today. She also went on to create many other mechanical inventions from 1894-1915.
- Dr. Giuliana Tesoro - She died in 2002 with over 125 U.S. patents to her name. One such invention was the creation of flame-retardant fabric. With a PhD in organic
chemistry, Tesoro was able to make great advances and secure numerous patents in the field of fibers and textiles during her life.
List of Some Famous Women Inventor's Inventions
- Disposable Diapers
- Vacuum Packaging
- The Dishwasher
- Barbie Doll
- Mars Rover
- Windshield wipers
- White-Out (Liquid Paper)
- The Baby Sling
- Scotch Guard
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Naturally Colored Cotton
- Home Diabetes Test
- Apgar Score (for assessing newborns)
- Non-reflective glass