A list of famous people in history would not be complete without including history's famous leaders. Below we have listed some of the most well known
military, political, and other leaders the world has produced. On the other pages of this site you will find more detailed Interesting facts and information about many famous men and women. This information includes who these people were, when they lived, and how they became so famous. Some of these individuals are very famous and appear in every kids school history books where as others are less well known.
List of Famous Military Leaders
- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769 - 1821). Perhaps the greatest military leader in history. After the French revolution Napoleon became the ruler of France.
- Alexander the Great (356 - 323 BC). At a very young age this famous leader conquered half the known world earning him a spot among the greatest military leaders in history.
- Erwin Rommel (1891 - 1944). This World War 2 German General was a military genius. Dubbed the Desert Fox for his cunning military maneuvers during the German military campaign in North Africa.
- Julius Caesar (100 BC - 44 BC). He is perhaps the most famous of all the rulers of ancient Rome. He rarely lost a battle. Even when his forces were out
numbered and not supplied well he found ways to win. This great man conquered modern day England, France, the Netherlands, and Belgium.
List of Famous Political Leaders
- Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865). He was the 16th President of the United States and led the Union forces to victory over the confederate army. He also
abolished slavery in the United States.
- George Washington (1732 - 1799). He led the continental army in an amazing victory over the British and became the first president of the United States of America. He also presided over the Constitutional Convention.
- Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965). He was the prime minister of England during World War 2 and was a key figure in leading the allies to victory over the Axis powers.
- Franklin Roosevelt (1882 - 1945). FDR was one of the most famous American presidents. Taking office in 1933 he served for twelve years leading the United through the Great Depression and a world war.
List of Famous Business Leaders
- Henry Ford (1863 - 1947). This famous American industrialist introduction of the first affordable car (the Model T) revolutionized American industry. Adding to his fame was his utilization of the assembly line technique of mass production.
- Andrew Carnegie (1835 - 1919). He made a fortune in the steel industry and was famed for his philanthropy. He donated too many cause including the building of libraries, education, and scientific research.
- John Rockefeller (1839 - 1937). He founded the Standard Oil Company and revolutionized the petroleum industry in the United States. His business success made him the richest man in the world and perhaps the richest in history.
Other Famous Leaders
- Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929 - 1968). This famed leader of the African-American Civil Rights Movement was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964. His non-violent methods of protesting resulted in great strides forward for the rights of black Americans.
- Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948). Gandhi struggle for India's Independence from British rule. His non-violence approach inspired future leaders who sought peace.